minnesota diehards... mar-31 mtg minutes, link to pictures

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
jeff mc

minnesota diehards... mar-31 mtg minutes, link to pictures

Post by jeff mc »

i just sent an email to the MN diehard group, w/ info and links. if you're not on that mailing list, drop me an email (or reply here, or send private message, etc) and i'll add you to the list.

the location is still being scouted out... stay tuned. here's a link to our blog http://mndiehards.blogspot.com/ and the MN email MNdiehards@comcast.net

ps: admins: sure wish we had a forum called "local chapters / DH meetings" to post stuff like this in... pls see http://diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162 for several other organizers (including mel's) preference for a new top level forum (but i realize you're moving this to the diehards.org website and there's a million other things to do, too... make this a million and one)
Last edited by jeff mc on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Topic Author
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

we're still looking for the 'best' location to host this. i'm thinking somewhere in west saint paul (robert street) or bloomington. if anyone has any ideas, please post them, PM me, or email me.

wherever we end up, it'll be at 12:00, saturday, march-31.

see everyone there!
Mel Lindauer

Local Chapters Forum

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Chuck:

This new forum was set up so you could do exactly what you're doing; make meeting and/or Chapter announcements and chat with your members. Your members can all post their discussions right here on your announcement post. Unless it's something private, you don't even have to bother with PMing each other, since it's nice for others to see how the rest of the Chapter members feel about something.

Best regards,

Mel
Topic Author
jeff mc

bloomington, majors cafe - all newcomers very welcome

Post by jeff mc »

for anyone new to this forum but interested, please join us. our last meeting had a great mix of old diehards and several new ones, too.

we'll be meeting at majors sports cafe in bloomington, sat, 12:00, march-31

Majors Sport Cafe 8301 Normandale Blvd, Bloomington, MN (952) 835-8308. maps:
map to majors

thanks for scouting out this location, philip!

if you haven't responded yet and plan on joining us, please let us know. we have the back banquet room reserved.

see you there! bring copies of your asset allocation if you want to share it and get into small group discussions on it. %s only.

draft agenda:
1) introductions (name, how you found diehard forum(s), occupation)

2) the star tribune business/money section contacted me. they may want to do a story on our group and/or attend this mtg

3) asset allocation reviews by group (for any volunteers... please bring 10 copies of your AAs [%s only])

4) IPS (investment policy statement)

5) pros / cons of investing in retirement accounts (401ks, roth IRAs, SEPs, etc) vs. taxable accounts

6) direction of market in 2007-08. (interest rates, inflation, economy, what congress changes may bring)

7) open discussion / other issues people want to discuss

8) next meeting timing / location / format
Topic Author
jeff mc

3 quick updates:

Post by jeff mc »

3 quick updates:

1) comcast had a 'spam filter' on my MNdiehards@comcast.net email address, so i missed several emails that i cannot retrieve. if you emailed me but haven't gotten an email back, please try to re-email. bob d: i tried emailing you twice, so your yahoo spam filter must be filtering out my email... dig my emails out of your 'spam' folder, or change your filter settings, or use another email when emailing to me.

2) there is no $12 minimum order at majors. my email may have confused some folks... i meant that *normally* they want at least a $12 each min. but they waived this for the diehards. no self-respecting diehard i know would want a $12 lunch sandwich... :shock:

3) indeed, the star-tribune money section reporter will be present. should be fun.
Topic Author
jeff mc

mtg minutes

Post by jeff mc »

20 minnesota diehards (and one from ia) got together earlier today. always great meeting w/ these great folks. nice mix of new folks (carol, david, bob, joe, and marsha) as well as the 'grisled veterans' and a special guest today, kara mcquire, columnist from the star tribune / personal finance.

i posted some group pix and the agenda at the mn diehard blog:
http://mndiehards.blogspot.com/

here's kara's 'home page' at the strib:
http://www.startribune.com/148/
and her blog (ka-blog)
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/kablog/
i've been reading and tracking profiles of 3 families as they try to get out of debt and start saving/investing... turns out, kara was the writer on them... small world
http://www.startribune.com/fixups

anyway, i'll post a new thread for the next mn mtg, probably july-august timeframe... stay tuned
Mel Lindauer

MN Diehards Meeting

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Chuck:

Thanks for posting the news about your meeting. You've got quite some group there! In fact, that's about the size of Diehards I; the only thing missing is Jack Bogle! After kara writes her story, your group will probably increase considerably.

Continued success with your Local Chapter. Give all your members my very best.

Mel
Topic Author
jeff mc

Re: MN Diehards Meeting

Post by jeff mc »

Mel Lindauer wrote:You've got quite some group there! In fact, that's about the size of Diehards I; the only thing missing is Jack Bogle!

Mel
thanks, mel... but you have to look closer... 1st row, 2nd from the right... jack was there, too

http://bp2.blogger.com/_OICKkX8wDGQ/Rg7 ... lehead.jpg

[edit: a bunch to experiments w/ picture sizes that didn't force scrolling too far to the right]
Last edited by jeff mc on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Yes, I noticed the Bobblehead right away, and wondered where you got it, but I didn't want to bring it up. Now that you did, perhaps you'll let us in on how it came to be in your possession.

Regards,

Mel
Jodocus_Magnus

Post by Jodocus_Magnus »

Chuck D,
Thanks for leading the MN Diehard Meeting and running a blog for easy reference of past meetings. It was a enjoyable experience talking about personal finance and I look forward to the next MN Diehards chapter get together.

Regards,
Joe

P.S. I was impressed with how large a restaurant the Bloomington Major's is - great location whoever picked it.